Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Interview of Dr Javed Iqbal- By: Syed Ahmed Raza



Increasing redundancy repels youth from Urdu: Dr Javed

Interview: By: Syed Ahmed Raza

Un-edited


Introduction: Dr Javed Iqbal was born on March 23, 1964 in Latifabad. After his early education, he received Graduation and Masters Degree in Urdu Literature from Government Degree College in 1987. He has been associated with Urdu department since 1987. Quest of education propelled him completing his MPhil in 1995 and doctorate in 2002. Dr Javed was recently promoted as Dean of Arts Faculty which makes him the youngest Dean in UoS history.

Roshni:  Why did you choose teaching as a profession?

Dr Javed: I had always liked this field, when I was young; I enjoyed the company of literate personalities like, Professor Persian Language at UoS, Huzoor Ahmed Saleem, founder of Cosmopolitan School System, Professor Arshad Raza, Prof. Habeeb Arshad, Ateeq Ahmed Jilani, and advocate Mushtaq Ahemd. From there; I got the desire to become like them. 


Roshni:  What difficulties you faced during your career?

Dr Javed: As I belong to a lower class family, it was never easy to continue my study having an excessive burden to support family. I therefore worked as a part-time electrician. However, I always carried my books along with my tool box. I often studied hours at night to complete my Masters Degree. My patience was rewarded and I was appointed as lecturer at Urdu Department University of Sindh.



Roshni: Why did you prefer research field over creative work?

Dr Javed: Earlier in my career, I wrote many short poems, ghazliyat, essays and afsaney. But, soon I realized that this field expects a lot of time and attention, unfortunately I was too busy to keep the wheel of my domestic responsibilities moving. I therefore had no option but to switch my field of interest and research work on Urdu Literature was always my second interest after writing. Still, for my catharsis, I seldom write some poems or short stories.


Roshni: How do you compare both fields (writing & Research)?

Dr Javed: One cannot justify both fields by placing one over another. Each has its own importance, its own domain. Writing poetry or prose is an art to convert your feelings and ideas on paper. Research on Urdu literature tells us the quality of today’s and old Urdu Literature by their comparative study. 


Roshni: How many research papers have you written?

Dr Javed: I wrote my first monograph during masters, on “Personality and Work of Fazal Ahmed Kareem Fazli.” Further I have written research papers about research-work done earlier on “Ameer Minayi.” Further I have written articles on “Urdu Tabsara Nigari,” “Urdu Taqreer Nigari” and many other topics.


Roshni: How many M.Phil/PhD scholars have you supervised?

Dr Javed: Six PhD and two M.phil Scholars have completed their degree under my supeervision, while, twelve M.phil and PhD scholars are under process.


Roshni: Being a researcher of Urdu literature, how do you see excessive use of slang words in Urdu?

Dr Javed: Earlier, slangs were considered bad and therefore were not included in dictionaries. But, now many slang words are not only accepted but also included in Urdu dictionaries, considering their extensive use in spoken Urdu. However, one should use them before selective gatherings and listeners.


Roshni: What do you think of young generation Urdu poets?

Dr Jawed: I consider them disgrace to Urdu Poetry. This poetry has worse effects on our youth and influences their thoughts. This vulgarity would not last long. However, this generation also has poets like, Amjad Islam Amjad, Mohsin Naqwi, Iftikhar Arif and Jameel-ud-deen Aali.


Roshni: Why do you think is youth disinterested in Urdu Literature?

Dr Javed: Due to increasing redundancy, most of our youth propel towards English language instead, which creates many job opportunities in national and multi-national companies. Parents too, focus on science-subjects rather than their national language.

2013
Feature- Syed Ahmed Raza - Roll # MC-2k11/09, BS -III 
Practical work done under supervision of Sir Sohail Sangi

No comments:

Post a Comment