Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Sindh needs brave journalists: Faiz Khoso

Sindh needs brave journalists: Faiz Khoso
Interview by Sumera Memon
Faiz Ahmed Khoso is a renowned senior journalist, who documented history, archaeology, historical places, and culture of Sindh. Faiz Ahmed Khoso was born on February 04, 1979 in Jhando Khoso village district Hyderabad He got his early education at his native village and graduation from University of Sindh. He has been working for different newspapers, magazines, and TV channels and currently is attached with Kawish and KTN group.
 Q. How you started your career?
A: I started my career from Radio Pakistan Hyderabad, my first programme was "Baaren ji Baari" (children programme) later I became announcer of programme "Manik Moti", which was a great experience for me.

Q. When you start writing for newspaper?
A:  When I was the student of class 7, I used to write my own one page newspaper namely “Sach”and distribute it in my village. I wrote about nearly every event, issue, and problems of my village.

Q. How did you enter in this field?
A: Basically, I wanted to become pilot and fly in the sky but unfortunately couldn't pass my physical test, that time I was eager to ride bikes and I usually ride my brother's bike, and traffic police charged me many times. So I thought I should have a press card which would help me to get rid from police harassment. I went to Mahmood Yousfani a senior journalist of Daily Ibrat. He gave me Dawn newspaper to translate some pieces form it into Sindhi. I did it well and then he appointed me as a sub editor, he was the person who taught me how to write headlines, soft and hard news. 

Q. is today's journalist committed to his profession?
A: We have all types of  people, some are thieves, some are corrupts but there are also innocent and good people. As journalists are part of the society, some of the journalists are compelled to take bribe to meet their needs, because the media outlets do not pay them good to live a better life but we can't blame them. Most of journalist are committed. 

Q. How we can compare Sindhi and Urdu media?
A: Sindhi media have not many resources as compare to Urdu media, it is still being considered regional. We can launch Sindhi channel in America easily but still our government tags it regional. 

Q. What qualities should a journalist have?
A: A journalist should understand and identify the basic needs, problems, and issues of society in which he lives, he must be keen observer, having eagle’s eye and well aware/ known from every field as he can write or identify the issue. He must have a ability to present the issues of society in such a manner that a receiver of message should be conveyed properly and effectively. He should make the news story specific and to the point. 

Q. How would you describe your experience in making documentaries?
A: While working on documentation I found many unique qualities of common people, one of them was Afzal Mangerio, who was uneducated but having God gifted voice qualities and can  make voice of more than 12 birds and animals. 

Q. Any message for students of Mass Communication?
A: It is an important department because it creates will and power to raise the voice through media and compels government to respond to people’s problems. In fact Sindh needs reliable and brave journalists.




Practical work done under supervision of Sir Sohail Sangi at Department of Mass Communication, University of Sindh. 
October 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment